Monday, March 4, 2013

Letters from the past

As I was sitting at the computer the other day, contemplating on how I was going to make this blog successful for myself and my daughter, I heard this loud crash come from behind me. My cat Charcoal decided it was a smart idea to climb onto my nick knack ledge and in the process knocked over my white plastic basket that holds all my past letters I still hold unto. I have letters from old pen pals, from my grandmother, my big sister from Big Brothers & Big Sisters and my mom.

It amazes me how there are certain things that we just hold onto throughout the years as we move from one place to another. Many of these letters began their journey with me when I was still living in Shakopee, MN as an elementary student at Pearson Elementary. This is where I first read a letter from my long time pen pal, Stacey Waite, from Richland, England.

As I cursed slightly under my breath at my cat, who's favorite time is knocking down anything he can put his paws on I came across some of my favorite letters from my mom. She wrote these letters to me the summer I was selling books door to door in Monroe, Michigan. One of the most grueling jobs I think I have ever done. Also during the fall of my sophmore year in college, months before she passed away. My mom knew it was difficult for me so to encourage me along she took me a on a journey through Europe.

On each note card was a picture of a different European city. I traveled through London, Venice, Prague, and Paris. In a few short years I would be traveling these cities in person and caring my mom's memory in my head. She always wanted to head over to Europe with me, this was my way of paying her back. It was her encouragement that installed my love of traveling. Her undying belief that if you believe in your dream you can succeed in them.

These letter from the past help remind me that I am not alone and she still looks over me as I pursue this ambition dream of making a living as a writer. As a mother she shows me how to have unwavering support for my daughter, how to be a mother and also a friend. I can only hope that I can be as good as she was to me, honest, firm, and willing to show her true self to me.

I will close out this post from one of my favorite parts of these letters. Selling books was my first major attempt at cold sales and learning how to receive rejection was hard. Learning not to take things personally, is a great lesson in all that we do. Even though my mother claimed not be much of pep talker she knew me and could always find away to make me feel better:

Front of note cards sent in the summer and fall of 2000.
"I know that even though things may not be going perfectly as you envisioned. You are learning from the rejections. Remember they are not rejecting out — they are rejecting the books and the product." - Denise L. Parrish

I have used this same advice to many people in my life, whether it was selling a new product or training someone to sell jewelry. No, just means that, that person is not ready to commit right now to that product, food, or person. No is not a death warrant but a chance for evaluations. A chance to better the sales approach or a one's own demeanor. We don't know what is going on in other's people's lives, and that no is only because it doesn't fit for them. Without the No's the Yes' would not be as wonderful as they are. Take rejection as an opportunity to learn as my mom taught me 13 years ago. Dreams can only come true if you are willing to hear a no in life more than just once.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to meet you and connect, Tamera. Would love to chat with you and blogging has become my sanity saver. I began almost 4 years ago and it has blessed my life, made me happier, and brought opportunities my way that I never could have achieved otherwise. See you soon !

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark & Share

Blog Archive

Followers